Are you thinking about adopting a dog or puppy in the near future? If so, then of course you’re excited about the prospect of bringing home a new furry friend. However, if this is your first time owning a dog, there are also some common Plantsville pet care mistakes many new owners make that you’ll want to avoid.
Plantsville Pet Care Mistakes to Avoid With a New Dog
Here at Apple Valley Veterinarian, we understand that a new pet can be stressful. Here are some helpful tips on how to handle the new addition to your family.
- Choosing Based on Appearance – The “cutest” dog in the litter may very well be the most mischievous and poorly behaved. Don’t adopt based on appearance alone.
- Assuming a Puppy is Too Young to Train – It’s never too early to start training a puppy once you bring it home. The earlier you start, the better.
- Not Realizing Dogs Can Change – Visit a dog several times before you decide to adopt it; its behavior the first time you see it may not be the same as the second or third.
- Being Inconsistent in Training – Dogs aren’t mind readers. When you start training them, make sure you remain consistent with it.
- Not Setting Ground Rules – You should have ground rules established the minute you bring your dog home. Don’t let it be a free-for-all!
- Ignoring Fear and Anxiety Issues – Many behavioral problems stem from fear and anxiety issues in dogs, so be sure to consider this.
- Waiting for a Dog to “Grow Out” of Behaviors – A dog won’t “grow out” of a bad behavior on its own; you will need to train it properly to teach it not to conduct that behavior.
- Not Having Enough Toys – Toys are a great distraction for dogs and keep them from tearing up your personal possessions!
- Failure to Socialize your Dog – A well socialized dog will be able to better adjust to changing environments.
- Letting Dogs Get Away With Misbehavior – No matter how cute your dog is, it’s important to discipline it properly when it misbehaves.
Contact Our Plantsville Veterinarian
For more tips on bringing your dog home, speak with the experts at your trusted Plantsville veterinary hospital, Apple Valley Veterinarians. We provide the best Plantsville pet care for your beloved pets. Call us at (860) 628-9635 to find out more information.